Become a Sponsor!
Battery History
   Biographies A - M
   Biographies N - Z
   Original Documents
   Other Service
   GAR Membership
   Burial Sites
   Battery Mysteries
   Upcoming Events
Become a Member!
   Our Guns
  Gallery 2018 - 1
  Gallery 2017
Gallery 2015 - 2
  Gallery 2015 - 1
  Gallery 2014 - 2
  Gallery 2014 - 1
  Gallery-2 2013
  Gettysburg 2013
  Gallery-1 2013
   Gallery 2012
   Gallery 2011
   Gallery 2010
   Gallery 2009
   Gallery - 2008 & Prior
   Other Eras
   Advancing the Guidon
   Members' Articles
   In the News / Honors
Ceremonies/ Poems
Civil War Artillery
   Ammunition & Equipment
   Famous Weapons
Encyclopedia of Civil War Artillery
   Guns - Page 1
   Guns - Page 2
   Guns - Page 3
Information Desk
National Register of Surviving Civil War Artillery
   Sites A - F
   Sites G - P
   Sites R - Z

Soldiers' Biographies A - M

   Thomas D. Beasley
   John J. Calkins
   Enos, James and Volney Clark
   Benjamin Cole
   Warren Russell Corey
   Truman Covert
   Ervin Crane
   John S. Cray
   Henry P. Cummings
   John S. Curtiss
   William Delamater
   Abel Dunton
   Caleb Abijah Ensign
   Asa Estabrook
   Abraham Evans
   Merrill J. Fuller
   Hiram J. Furguson
   Jeremiah Gardner
   Gideon W. Gifford
   William W. Hall
   Chandler Hamlin
   Chauncey Haviland
   Martin Van Buren Heath
   John Herr
   Seymour H. Hogle
   Jason A. Hunt
   Alexander M. Hunter
   Charles L. Huntley
   John L. Huntley
   William W. Hyzer
   Burroughs Ingham
   William R. Jameson
   Brazil Jerry
   Michael Kelly
   James Kennedy
   William Kirchen
   Carl A. Lamberg
   Lorenzo Leffingwell
   Enols Loyd
   Henry D. Lynes
   Ellis D. Main
   Nathaniel Marston
   Lorenzo Mosher
   Adelbert Andrew Mudge

We are always seeking information, photographs, letters, etc. about any of the men who served Battery C.  Please contact us at Robinsonsbattery@aol.com.  Thank you.

Thomas D. Beasley

Thomas D. Beasley was born in Canada.  He was listed as single and living in Bay City, MI after the war.  He died at the Soldier's Home in Dayton, OH on March 6, 1881.  He is buried there in section B-15, Grave 29.

John J. Calkins

John J. Calkins was born in Millville, NY on June 30, 1841, the son of Cornelius Calkins.  He entered the service in the Navy serving on the steamer Michigan (left) as a landsman at Erie, PA.  National Archive records list additional service: pay clerk  US Navy Exchange on the ships "Clara Dolsen"  and "Forest Rose."

He was discharged December 17, 1862 and was appointed Clerk to the Fleet Paymaster.  He resigned that position on November 4, 1863 and on January 26, 1864 was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in Battery C, 1st Michigan Light Artillery.
Pulaski, Tennessee - April 19, 2nd Lt. John J. Calkins of Battery C was ordered by General Dodge to report to Capt. Arndt (Battery B Michigan Light Artillery) and remained on duty there until July 15. During this time, with the detachment of that battery, he was in command of works at Prospect, TN and at Decatur, AL. He was a valuable soldier to Capt. Arndt. He was commissioned 1st lieutenant on February 6, 1864.

A stanza from the poem, Hohenlinden, by Thomas Campbell written in 1803...

"Then shook the hills with thunder riven,
Then rush'd the steeds to battle driven,
And louder than the bolts of heaven,
Far flash'd the red artillery. "  

...and the following paragraph from an unknown letter writer remain as clues to his activities:

It is ___  Lt. Calkins, to mention him, that while in command at these two important points, the Lieut proved himself a very efficient and able officer.  At Decatur, Ala. built the Fort Calkins later known as Fort Doolittle which was the only Fort at that place, when Hood's Army was unable to capture, although they tried their very best to do so.

While in the Navy, he served on the receiving ship Clara Dolson and the gunboats Rattler, Covington and Exchange.  He participated in the Siege of Vicksburg, battles of Arkansas Post and Helena and was in the overland expedition to Sunflower River.

He fought in the battles leading up to, and participated in, the Atlanta Campaign and the March to the Sea, the Carolinas campaign and the battle of Bentonville.  He married Ida Chapman on September 5, 1871 but she died October 4 1872 at the age of 24 years. (They had one child who died before her death.) He remarried the following year.  His second wife was Addie E. White; they were married in Buffalo, NY on May 28, 1873. He became a lawyer after the war.

He was a member of the GAR, Dewey Post No. 60.  Calkins died in 1916 and is buried in Leslie, MI.

At left is a photograph of him as an older man taken from The Calkins Memorial Military Roster by William Calkins published in 1903.

In 1921, his widow donated his uniform to the Michigan Historical Museum.

Enos, James and Volney Clark

When Enos and Sophronia Clark both died in Calhoun County in 1842, they left behind eleven orphaned children ranging in age from two to twenty.  Three of those children were the brothers James (then age 14),  Enos (age 10), and Volney (then age eight).  Indications are that the children were originally scattered and raised by a number of families.  However, when the Civil War broke out, all three of those brothers enlisted at Allegan County in Robinson’s Battery within a two week period in the fall of 1861.    

James enlisted as a saddler and was promoted to full artificer.  Enos and Volney signed on as privates.  James and Enos served in the Battery until the close of the war, while Volney mustered out on disability in August of 1862   After the war ended, James, Enos, and Volney all appear together in the 1870 census as bachelors in the household of their oldest brother Charles in Heath Township, Allegan County.  James is a harness maker, Enos a mason, and Volney a farmer.  None of the three ever married. 

By the 1880 census, all three had been lured north by the promise of free land.  Volney homesteaded in Corwith Twp, Otsego County.  James and Enos are found (in separate households) in Hudson Twp, Charlevoix County.   Volney next appears in the 1890 veteran’s census in Cadillac, MI. with indication that he had hearing damage in one ear.  In the 1894 Michigan veteran’s census for Allegan County, Volney appears in Pine Plains Township.  This is the last known location for Volney.   

There is a James in Leighton who might be the subject James.  None of the brothers can be located in the 1900 census.  James died in the Veteran’s Home in Grand Rapids on 9/30/1907.  Enos reappears in the 1910 and 1920 census records in Valley Township, Allegan County.  He died in Allegan County on January 23, 1923 at the ripe old age of 91. 

Benjamin Cole

Corporal Benjamin Cole, a native of New York, was a 21 year old Coldwater resident when he enlisted on December 12, 1861.  Younger brother, George W. Cole, also joined the Battery.  On July 16, 1862, Benjamin died of disease at Corinth, Mississippi and was buried at the Corinth National Cemetery.   

Warren Russell Corey

Warren Russell Corey was born during January 1845 in Michigan.  He was married on May 1, 1870 to Eunice E. Crouch and died on April 5, 1911, in Michigan City, Indiana.

The first record of Warren Corey appears in the 1850 census of Algansee,  Branch,  Michigan.   He is listed as living with his father, Samuel, who had been born in 1814 in New York, and his mother, Olive (nee Jordan), who had been born in 1811 in Maine and died on November 13, 1893, in Lima Township, LaGrange, Indiana.   

Warren enlisted in Company B, Michigan Chandler Cavalry Company on September 19, 1861 at Quincy, Michigan.  He mustered out two months later on November 22, 1861 at Coldwater, Michigan.   Then in Quincy he again enlisted, this time in Battery C, 1st Michigan Light Artillery on February 28, 1862.  He mustered out of the Battery at war’s end on June 22, 1865 at Detroit, Michigan. 

By 1880 he had relocated to Cass in La Porte, Indiana.   Warren held jobs as a wallpaper hanger, night watchman, and electrician.  He and his family remained in La Porte County until his death.  He was buried at Greenwood Cemetery, Michigan City, Indiana.

Truman Covert

Published in the Campaign County History pp. 558-9

Truman Covert, a well-to-do resident of East Bend Township, owns a farm of eighty acres on section 30. He is a native of the Empire state, born in the town of Greece, Monroe County, Aug. 8, 1838. His father, Mathias, and his grandfather, Bunn Covert, were natives of New  Jersey. It is supposed that the family originated in Holland. Its first representative in America lo­cated first on Manhattan Island and became poses­sor of a large tract of land which is now included in New York City. The grandfather of our sub­ject, who was a farmer by occupation, removed from New Jersey to Seneca County, N. Y., when a young man, and there spent his last days.

His son, Mathias, remained on the farm until eighteen years old and then learned the carpenter's trade. When ready to establish a home for himself he purchased a small tract of land near the town of Greece, but devoted the greater part of his time to his trade. In 1842 he traded his land for a farm in Wilson, Niagara County, which he occupied until 1870. He then sold out and came to this county, locating in Rantoul, where he lived retired from active busi­ness, until departing this life on the 6th of October, 1886, having reached the advanced age of eighty- five years. He had married in early manhood Miss Jemima Duckworth, a native of his own State. This lady died in Niagara County, N. Y., in 1857.

Of this marriage there were born eleven children, of whom nine grew to mature years and are still living. The record is as follows: Elvira, now Mrs. Cushing, lives in Wilson, Niagara Co., N. Y.; Lo­ving Tabor is a resident of Stevensville, Wis.; Alvin, of Rantoul, this county; Albert lives in Ingham County, Mich.; Melissa, Mrs. Stone, died in Wilson, N. Y. ; Truman, of our sketch, was the sixth child; May J. McKee lives in Rantoul, this county, and William in East Bend Township, which is also the residence of Bertha, Hillman and Fred­erick. Mathias Covert, for his second wife, married Mrs. Martha Jenny, in April, 1859. She departed this life July 5, 1886.

Truman Covert, of our sketch, was reared on the home farm in Niagara County, N. Y., received his education in the district school, and remained a resident of his native county until 1860. He then located on a farm of his cousin in Ingham County, Mich., until enlisting in the army in December 1863. He served as a soldier in the 1st Michigan Light Artillery until after the close of the war, being under command of Gen. Sherman, at Chat­tanooga, marching from Atlanta to the sea, and participating in many of the important battles of that campaign. He was taken seriously ill at Goldsboro, N. C., whence he was sent to Beaufort and from there to New York City, and was mus­tered out at Ft. Schuyler in June following.

Him­self and twenty-six of his comrades enlisted at Leslie, Mich,, and of these thirteen died in the service. Our subject after leaving the army was unable to do manual labor, and returning to his native town served as Constable and Collector until 1870, when the family came to this State and located on the farm which he now owns. The land at the time they took possession of it, was uncultivated prairie, and the nearest market was Rantoul, ten miles dis­tant. The face of the country has been greatly changed since that time. The prairie has been transformed into cultivated fields, enclosed with neat hedges and substantial fences, and a good resi­dence affords a pleasant house for our subject and his household.  Adjacent to it are all the necessary out-buildings required for the proper shelter of stock and the other products of the farm.

Mr. Covert was married in Niagara County, N. Y., Nov. 24, 1859, to Miss Jane Robbins, and they had five interesting children—Maude, Ida and Charles, living, and two Ticey and Jennie, de­ceased. Mrs. Covert was born in Lockport, N. Y., May 11, 1842. Her father, Cephas Robbins, of Vermont, became a resident of the Empire State when a young man, and was there married to Miss Drusella Finch. Mr. Covert is a member of the G. A. R., and is a staunch Republican in politics. The thrift and industry which have characterized the life of Mr. Covert are perhaps illustrated in the most forcible manner by the homestead which he has built up from the wild prairie, and a view of which has been faithfully lithographed on an adja­cent page. It forms a picture which his children will be proud to cherish in future years.

Ervin Crane

Ervin (also Ervine) Crane was born in 1842 in New York to Elijah and Julia Crane both who were born in New York.  By 1860, Elijah had died and Julia and children were in Brooklyn, Jackson
County, Michigan.  On October 10, 1861 at Brooklyn, Michigan Ervin enlisted in Company H, Michigan 1st Engineer Regiment on 29 October 1861.  He mustered out on July 18,1862 at Detroit, Michigan.  Then, on December 22, 1863, again at Brooklyn, Michigan, Ervin enlisted in  Battery C, Michigan 1st Light Artillery Battery.

As a 22 year old private from Brooklyn, MI, he suffered permanent eye damage as a result of combat action near Savannah, GA on December 11th, 1864.  "We had very heavy cannonading at the time.  Crane's eyesight up to this cannonading was good, but after this it failed.  He stood near the guns and was very much affected by the concussion."  He mustered out on June 22, 1865 at Detroit, Michigan.

Ervin married about 1868 and in 1870 he is shown in Woodstock, Lenawee County, Michigan.   His wife, Phoebe, and mother, Julia, were living with him as well as a son born April of 1870.  About 1878, the family moved to Trego, Kansas.   They had apparently moved back to Michigan by the time he applied for his pension in 1882, and his son, Clerk, was born in Michigan in February of 1884.

On November 29, 1882, Ervin applied for a pension.  On March 21, 1887, his wife,Phoebe, applied for a widow's pension.   She died in 1888 and is buried with him in Highland Cemetery at Brooklyn, Michigan.

John S. Cray

Many men lied about their ages to join units in the Civil War.  Interestingly it was not just boys claiming to be older but also men claiming to be younger.  We had thought that Phillip Vahue  [see biography below] was the oldest man to join the Battery.  However, John S. Cray appears to have been the biggest liar about his age.  He claimed to be 44 but was actually about 56 or 57 when he joined!  He shows up in Allegan in the 1860 census as age 56.  We know from the headstone request that he was buried in Palmyra, NY. So sure enough, there he was in the 1850 census there and called out as 46.     

He had a wife and several children in the 1850 census but his wife must have died and who knows where the younger kids went. In the 1860 census, he is living with a woman who may be his daughter.  His adult son, Charles, is with another family in Pine Plains Township, Allegan County.  Sadly, son Charles was killed in action  (Co K , 8th Cavalry) just about 2 months before the war ended. 

Henry P. Cummings

While Henry P. Cummings is listed in the official roster as having deserted at St. Louis, MO, the records at the National Archives show that he drew a pension and the card shows that he also served in Company B of the 3rd MI Cavalry and Company H of the 7th US Cavalry. His good name has been unfairly besmirched.

John S. Curtiss

John S. Curtiss, son of John and Mary (Pierce) Curtiss was 19 years old when he joined the Battery. John had been born and raised in Trowbridge Township, Allegan County and had hired himself out as a farm laborer at the age of 14.

 In 1862, John married Miss Amanda Lynes, daughter of Samuel and Cynthia Lynes. Amanda was the sister of Henry Lynes, who also joined the Battery and perished of disease during the war. (There have been a number of such connections found between other members of the Battery).

 John joined the Battery on February 1, 1864. Like so many other soldiers, John fought a good part of the war not on the battlefield but in a sick bed. Upon first enlisting, John caught the measles at Coldwater and was sick for six months. He stayed in the Battery until the end of the war, mustering out in June of 1865.   After the war, John returned to farming and also engaged in his father's profession of blacksmithing. He also raised Percheron and Hambletonian horses and Holstein, Durham and Jersey cattle. One prize winning Hambletonian horse named "Booby" apparently set local records.

John and his wife Amanda had one child, Mary, who married Herbert Marble. Mary had no children but raised a young man named Ernest Marble, belived to be her husband's nephew.

John was a wealthy landowner, holding not only 80 acres in Trowbridge Township, but also 40 acres in Hopkins Township, Van Buren Co. He eventually moved into the village of Allegan where he lived on Seminary Hill. He was a Republican, an Oddfellow and a member of the GAR.

John died December 31, 1919 and was laid to rest in Oakwood Cemetery in Allegan on January 3, 1920. This cemetery is also the final resting place for several other Battery members including Asa Estabrook, Herbert Howe and others.

William Delamater

William Henry Delamater  was born on April 26, 1835 in Oxford, New York.  He married Ellen Backus and later Loana Collins.  His known children are daughter, Maude, and son, Claude Eugene, both born in Charlotte, Michigan.  William was living in Baldwin, Michigan at the time of the 1880 census but had moved to Knoxville, Tennessee by the 1900 census where he was living with daughter Maude Schenk.  He is also found in the 1910 census in Knoxville and passed away there on April 16, 1913.

Abel Dunton

Abel and Samantha Dunton about 1860

Photo courtesy of Carol Whaley

Abel Dunton was born on March 31, 1820 in Fitzwilliam, Cheshire, New Hampshire.  He died on June 2, 1897 at Heath, Allegan County, Michigan.  He was married on April 7, 1844 in Lake, Ohio to Samantha Fowler who had been born on April 29, 1823 in Shalersville, Portage, Ohio and died on May 09, 1893 in Heath, Allegan, Michigan.  In 1856 he purchased 80 acres of land in Michigan and moved there before 1860.  

While Abel and his family are shown in census records in 1850 to be at Winchendon, Worcester, Massachusetts, by 1860 the family is in Monterey, Allegan, Michigan.   Later the family lived in Heath Township, Allegan County, Michigan.  On October 14, 1861, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Abel enlisted in Michigan Battery C, 1st Light Artillery Regiment.  He received a disability discharge from the Battery on December 4, 1862.  

His son, Oscar, also served during the Civil War (Abel was 44 at the time he joined the Battery and had a son old enough to serve as well) when he enlisted in Company 2nd SS, Michigan 27th Infantry Regiment on February 29, 1864 at Grand Rapids, Michigan.   He was taken POW August 21, 1864 on the Weldon Railroad in Virginia.  Oscar died as a POW and was buried in the Salisbury National Cemetery in Salisbury, North Carolina.   His widow, Harriett Green, whom he had married on July 19, 1863 in Allegan County, received a pension after his death.   In 1868 she married Julius Davis and moved to Clare County, Michigan.

Caleb Abijah Ensign

Caleb Abijah Ensign began his military career with the Robinson Battery and later transferred to the 1st Michigan Engineers.  Prior to serving in the Civil War, he was a surveyor and a teacher.  He was born in Ohio and was in Michigan working as a farm laborer at the time he enlisted.  He had a brother who enlisted in Ohio.  He died in California and is buried at Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, and has a shared headstone with his wife, Josephine.  

Information courtesy of Marilyn Andersen, descendant

Asa Estabrook

Asa Estabrook enlisted on November 28, 1861, aged 24, as a private in the Battery, and served on all its campaigns from muster-in to Grand Review. He was promoted to corporal at Camp Clear Creek in July of 1862, and was reputed to be one of the best gunners in the western armies. In January, 1864, when the veterans returned from furlough, he was promoted to Sergeant. On December 18th, he accepted a commission as junior Second Lieutenant, where he remained until mustered out with the Battery on June 22, 1865.

Asa returned to Allegan County in western Michigan after the War, where he farmed for the rest of his life.

Photo provided by John Hughes

Abraham Evans

Private Abraham Evans served as a teamster in the Battery from December 1861 to February 1863, when he was mustered out on a surgeon's certificate. His wife, Mary Tennant Evans, accompanied him to the theatre of war in northern Mississippi, and worked as a nurse in the hospital at Corinth.  He and his wife are buried together in the Elbridge Township Cemetery in Oceana County, Michigan.

Image of painting made from photograph supplied by great great grandson, Chuck TenBrink.

Abraham and Mary later in life.  Notice her stylish leg of mutton sleeves dating this to the mid 1890s.

Merrill G. Fuller

Merrill Fuller was born January of 1848 in Kinderhook Township, Branch County, Michigan, son of Gad Miller and Phoebe (Haight) Fuller.   Merrill enlisted on February 12, 1864 and served until the close of the war.  

In the 1870 census, Merrill was boarding as a farm laborer with the Henry Eggleston family in Bronson.  On January 25, 1872, he married the farmer’s daughter, Leora Elizabeth Eggleston.  The couple had at least two children, daughters Addie and May.  The family was still in Bronson in the 1880 census.  

By the 1900 census, Merrill and his family were living in Madison County, Arkansas.  By the 1910 census, they were living in Valley Township, Kingman County, Kansas where they stayed through the 1920 census.   

Merrill died on October 29,1920 at National Home in Kansas and was buried at the Leavenworth National Cemetery in Leavenworth, Kansas.

Hiram J. Furguson

Hiram Furguson was listed as 20 years old when he enlisted in Battery C in Coldwater, Michigan on February 4, 1864. However, census records indicate that he was actually born in 1844 in New York and therefore was only 19 when he joined.   There are several spellings of Hiram’s last name including Ferguson, Furgason, and Ferguson, but he is listed on the Roster as Furguson.  

Hiram was wounded in action on August 21, 1864. He served until the end of the war and mustered out in Detroit on June 22, 1865.   Hiram’s wounds must have been fairly severe as he filed for an invalid pension shortly after the end of the war on November 20, 1865.  His wife is listed as Emma L. Furgason.  Hiram died on September 12, 1884 in Wexford County, Michigan but Emma did not file for a widow’s pension until December 8, 1885.   

Hiram is buried in the Antioch Cemetery in Mesick, Michigan.   Hiram appears in the 1850 census of Algansee Township, Branch County, Michigan with parents John and Laura Ferguson, and siblings Hannah, Albert, Emeline and Fanny.  In the 1860 census, only mother Laura is in the household with Hiram in Quincy.  Sister Hannah had married Hart Wilbur in 1854, sister Fanny had married William Joseph in 1855, and sister Emeline had married Emery W. Fillmore in 1857. 

In the 1880 census, Hiram and wife Emma Malone, whom he married in 1879, were living in Antioch Township, Wexford County, Michigan. Emma is shown as born in Ohio.   It does not appear that Hiram left any descendants.

Jeremiah Gardner

Jeremiah was a 39 year old farmer from Litchfield, Michigan when he enlisted in the Battery on February 13, 1864. He had hazel eyes, dark hair, a ruddy complexion and stood 5’9” tall. At enlistment, he received a bounty of $60 which was credited to the 1rst Congressional District in Hillsdale County. Jeremiah’s records have no remarks until the January/ February Roll which states: Died of wounds received in action at South Edisto River (SC) Feb'y 9/65. See also Battery Mysteries.

Gideon W. Gifford

Gideon W. Gifford has been added to the original roster as of March 2009.  Genealogist Deb Gosselin has found the official records of his service through the National Archives.  He had previously been a "Battery Mystery" as John Hughes had received the following information and cdv from Bill Morris:

I have been researching the history of the 14th Michigan Infantry; while so engaged I came across repeated reference to the regiment having a section of artillery assigned to it while posted as mounted infantry at Columbia and Franklin, Tennessee. Indications are, while the two guns, a six pounder and a twelve pounder Wiard were manned by men of the regiment, the section was commanded by Lt. Gideon Gifford who was also somehow associated with Battery C, 1st Michigan Light Artillery. I send attached a copy of an image of Lt. Gifford, the original of which is held at the Archives of Michigan.

It appears that Gifford did enlist in the Battery according to his entry in the 14th MI book of the rosters (Vol. 14) and was mustered in with the Battery on Nov. 28, 1861. I am unclear as to how long he was with the Battery before being detailed as a Hospital Steward. The entry states that he accepted a commission in the 14th Inf. May of '63.   As near as I can tell that period was the only time that Gifford was associated with Battery C during the war.

The Battery was at the Battle of Farmington and Siege of Corinth with the 14th, but separated when the 14th went to Buell's Army. The 14th and the Battery were reunited in a sense during the Atlanta Campaign and the rest of the war under Sherman's Army in '64.   Very possibly it was his prior training in the artillery qualified him for command of the cannon used by the 14th.  

The first online listing I found says he was a sergeant at induction into Battery C and a private when he was discharged!  Sounds like Gideon was a bad boy.  I find him in the 1860 census (at least I think it is he) in Detroit as a 17-year-old living with a Rev. Scott.  He is shown as born in New York.  Oddly, at quick check, I can't find him again until the 1910 census and he is then in Davidson (Co) Tennessee with wife Sarah and daughter Etta.  Etta is 42 and single and listed as their only child so no hope of descendants to answer questions!    I find a Gideon Webster Gifford (his middle initial is W on the photo) marrying a Sarah Mosely Hughes on January 16, 1866 in Maury, Tennessee.  May not be right but possible.     

The 14th roster says he was inducted as Hospital Steward and discharged as Captain.  A more detailed listing on Gideon says he enlisted on October 1, 1861, and then mustered in our battery on November 28, 1861 and then into Co K of the 14th on January 7, 1862.   "Michigan in the Civil War" says that he was inducted in to our battery as a sergeant on the October 1, 1861 date so I don't know what the significance of the November 28, 1861 date is.  So it sounds like he was with the battery from October 1, 1861 until January 7, 1862.    

I think I also just found him (age 7) in 1850, living in Cambridge, Washington County, NY with sisters Martha (13) and Sarah (11).  They are in the household of a carpenter and a merchant so were apparently orphaned young.  This explains him being with the Rev. Scott in 1860 and there was also a sister, Sarah, with him then (with both born NY).   There are also a Sarah and Gideon Gifford still in Cambridge, NY in the 1860 census so he may have gotten double counted (happens) or else this is just someone else (but too coincidental!).  

Bill Morris responded with the following:  

Comparing the service of the 14th Regiment and Battery C, I can see how he could have somehow become known to the 14th’s staff but I have found nothing that would explain how or when that may have happened. Readings about the 14th tend to reflect that the regiment suffered from the impact of state politics; perhaps young Gideon got himself in trouble in Battery C and someone arranged a transfer for him? Obviously, when it comes to Gifford, at this point there are more questions than answers.  

Gifford could have had a few opportunities to become known to the 14th Infantry. The 14th was the first of two Michigan Infantry Regiments that were intended to be composed of Irishmen or sons of Irishmen drawn from several counties across Lower Michigan. More than a few of these were from Wayne County.  The regiment was sent to St. Louis to join General Pope’s command and immediately after arriving boarded a riverboat and was sent to Hamburg Landing, TN. There they joined the gathering forces under General Halleck and participated in his slow move towards Corinth, MS. They were employed in skirmishing with the Confederates, helping to build corduroy roads for the artillery and were engaged at Farmington, MS. After the Corinth occupation, the 14th was sent across MS to Tuscumbia, AL and the two organizations began to follow different paths. 

 The 14th’s men were used for labor in the construction of Fort Negley near Nashville however there is no indication any battery was assigned there at the time. After taking post at Columbia, TN, it did run several scouts intended to combat Confederate irregulars, cavalry and recruiting activity. It was after a string of several successful actions the regiment was mounted, received repeating arms and the mentioned section of artillery. A letter dated September 1863 indicates the men at Columbia had been given two rifled cannon and were then expecting two mountain howitzers however a survey, which was began in late December 1863 that appears in the OR, indicates the regiment had only a six pounder gun and a twelve pounder Wiard which was commanded by Gifford. Also, during the same period, two companies of the 14th under command of Lt. Col. George W. Grummond were posted at nearby Franklin (likely Fort Granger) where several guns were mounted but I have no idea if they were manned by artillerymen or the infantrymen of the 14th.

In early 1865 the veterans of the 14th, along with a few new enlistees and drafted men, joined General Sherman’s campaigns.   With respect to what your member came up with, Davidson, Tennessee may well refer to Davidson County, Tennessee (the Nashville area). Maurt, Tennessee could be Maury County, Tennessee (area around Columbia). Both areas were traditionally and relatively very prosperous and were sites of extended postings for the 14th.     

I am thinking that Gifford knew a number of the members of the 14th from before the war, if the bulk of the men came from around the Detroit area, then he might naturally want to get assigned to the 14th to be with his friends. Obviously he was a capable man, so I doubt that he was inept as a Sergeant in the Battery, but he could have been a high-spirited lad and perhaps incurred the displeasure of the Captain (Dees) somehow.   

This is the first soldier that I have been aware of that had served in the Battery but wasn’t listed in the artillery volume of the Rosters - makes one wonder how many others may be unknown to us.  [Ed. - As it turns out, quite a few.  Our researcher, Deb Gosselin, had found at least a half dozen with records at the National Archived who were not on the original roster.  We have updated our roster to reflect these men's service.]  

William W. Hall

William Hall was among four soldiers from Branch County who died while in the service of 1st Michigan Light Artillery, Battery C.  (The other three are Benjamin Cole, William R. Jameson and Elliott Norton.)  First to succumb was William W. Hall, a 19 year old Coldwater resident who had enlisted on December 12, 1861 at Grand Rapids.  Like so many soldiers in the Civil War, William died not of wounds but of disease.  Private Hall passed away just a little over a month after enlistment on January 18, 1862, while the Battery was stationed at St Louis, Missouri.  He is buried in the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.

Chandler Hamlin

While strictly speaking, this is not a biographical entry, it is a wonderful story from A History of Van Buren County,Michigan a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests by Oran W. Rowland, published in Chicago by Lewis Publishing Co. 1912, page 279 & 280.

"The several batteries of this regiment were engaged in many different battles and skirmishes in all parts of the Southern Confederacy and some of the gunners developed a degree of marksmanship that would be creditable, even in these days, of such greatly improved guns and gunnery.  The writer [Oran Rowland] once was an eyewitness to an example of this on the field of battle in the state of Mississippi.  A running cavalry fight between the Federal and Confederate cavalry forces had been in progress for several days, the Federals gradually their opponents to retreat southward, although their progress was stubbornly contested.

Coming to a valley something like a half mile wide, as the Union soldiers were descending the northern slope, the Confederates suddenly and most unexpectedly uncovered a field gun and opened up with a rapid and vigorous fire of grape and canister.  Battery C, of the First Light Artillery, was with the Union cavalry, but had not been called into action.  However, one of its guns was speedily unlimbered and gunner Chandler Hamlin, a Van Buren county soldier, told to send a solid shot across the valley, which he speedily did, his first shot striking the enemy's gun full in its muzzle and putting it entirely out of commission, resulting in a considerable degree of demoralization in the ranks of the retreating foe.  And this was but a fair example of the skill with which the guns of this regiment were handled."

The writer, Oran Rowland, certainly was a creditable witness as he had enlisted as a Sergeant on September 17, 1861 at the age of 22 and was in Company C, 3rd Cavalry Regiment Michigan on October 3. 1861.  He was promoted to Full 2nd Lieutenant (as of Co. E) on April 29, 1863 and promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant (as of Co. I) on October 24 1864 and again, promoted to Full Captain (as of Co. C) on November 17, 1864.  He was discharged from Company C, 3rd Cavalry Regiment Michigan on June 6, 1865.

Alas, poor Chandler died in 1864 just two months after his disability discharge. 

Chauncey Haviland

Chauncey Haviland is not listed on the official roster but research through the National Archives has proven that he served with the Battery.  The official record lists the following:

Name: Chauncey Haviland
Residence: Augusta, Michigan
Enlistment Date: 9 August 1862
Enlistment Place: Detroit, Michigan
Side Served: Union
State Served: Michigan
Service Record:
  Enlisted as a Private on 9 August 1862 at the age of 21
  Enlisted in Company A, 4th Cavalry Regiment Michigan on 28 August 1862
  Discharged from 4th Cavalry Regiment Michigan on 20 January 1863 at Murfreesboro, TN
  Enlisted in Company Battery C, 1st Light Artillery Regiment Michigan on 9 February 1864
  Mustered out Company Battery C, 1st Light Artillery Regiment Michigan on 22 June 1865 at Detroit, MI

Chauncey Haviland died on January 14, 1929 at Sedro Wooley, WA.

Martin Van Buren Heath

Martin Van Buren Heath was born in Cayuga County, New York in approximately 1834, one of thirteen children of James and Susannah Heath.  By 1850, the family had moved to Allegan County, MI.  On May 28, 1857, Martin married Elizabeth LaBar; they had two daughters, Della (about 1862) and  Alice (about 1864), prior to Elizabeth’s untimely death around 1867. 

Martin enlisted in the Battery on December 18, 1861.  He received a disability discharge  on  April 14th,1862 at Saint Louis, Missouri.  Martin appears to have been an active businessman.  In the 1866 US Tax Assessment Rolls, he appears in Allegan as a retail merchant.  In census and other records he appears as a carpenter, a lumberman, a retired merchant, a real estate agent and as a “capitalist” near the end of his life in the 1900 census.    

In 1872, Martin married his sister-in-law Louisa LaBar and the couple remained married the rest of their lives. They had moved to Cadillac, Wexford County, Michigan by the 1880 census.  The 1900 census indicates that Louisa had one child but it is unclear if this is a child they had together or if she simply viewed her sister’s children as her own.  His daughter, Della G. Heath, married Charles E. Northrup who was also in the lumber business.  Della and Charles moved to Gallatin, Tennessee.   Alice married Henry Sill and the couple settled in Cadillac.  

It is uncertain at present whether Martin returned to Allegan County prior to his death or whether he simply opted to be buried with his family at the Millgrove Cemetery in Valley Township, Allegan County around 1904.  

John Herr

John's father was born in Prussia and his name was Fidel Herr. John's mother Joanne (born in New York), claimed a mother's pension in 1890.  He enlisted in Nankin Twp, Wayne County on February 11, 1864.  He died of disease on August 3, 1864 only 6 months later.  Where he is buried remains a mystery.

Seymour H. Hogle

Seymour Hogle was listed as 18 years old when he enlisted in Company M, 5th Cavalry Regiment Michigan on 30 Aug 1862. His residence was listed as Gilead, MI. He was discharged from Company M on 16 Jun 1863.   He then enlisted in Coldwater, MI as a private on 27 January 1864 and was assigned to Battery C of the 1st MI Light Artillery where he served until the end of the war, mustering out in Detroit on June 22, 1865.  

Seymour filed for an invalid pension on July 16, 1890.    He died in 1929 and is buried in the Burr Oak Township Cemetery in St Joseph County, MI.  His second wife, Mary A Atwell, filed for a widow’s pension in 1930 from Wisconsin.   Seymour appears in the Bronson Township, Branch County, MI census in 1870 with wife Isabelle Lilly. In the 1880 census he is in Burr Oak Township, St Joseph County, MI with his wife and son Clifford and is listed as a dry goods merchant.

He remained in Burr Oak Twp the rest of his life.  His first wife Isabel died in 1887.  They had daughters Marjorie, Marion and Dorothy. Around 1899, Seymour married his second wife, Mary Atwell.  The following is from an old history of St. Joseph County:

SEYMOUR H. HOGLE, cashier of the Burr Oak State Bank, was born at Dale, New York, January 19, 1845. He is a son of Hugh R. and Minerva (Fuller) Hogle, natives of the state of New York. Hugh was born in 1810, and died in Pekin, Illinois, in 1853; his wife was born in 1826 and died in 1891, in Grand Rapids, Mich­igan. When nine years of age Mr. Hogle came with his mother and stepfather, David Green, of New York, to Auburn, Indiana, where they spent a year and then went to Wisconsin, where they spent another year, and in 1856 came to Coldwater, Michigan.

Mr. Green died in Coldwater and his widow removed to Grand Rapids to live with a son. To Hugh R. Hogle and his wife were born children as follows: Seymour H. and Alma, born in New York, in 1850, died in Denver, Colorado. The latter was the wife of Henry Kale, formerly of Branch county, Michigan, who re­moved to Denver; he was a farmer, and they had two sons. Mr. Green and his wife had two children, William H. and Elmer E. William H. Green, born about 1857-8, lives in Chicago, where he is employed as foreman in a shop; he is married and has one daughter. Elmer E. Green, born in 1862, lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan, is married and has a daughter.

Seymour H. Hogle began working on a farm by the month when twelve years of age, going to school in the winters, until he was seventeen years old, and then he enlisted in Battery C, First Michigan Light Artillery; he was with Sherman's Army all the time. He took part in the Atlanta campaign in the march to the sea, up through the Carolinas, and took part in twenty-two im­portant engagements, the battle of Atlanta being one of them. Mr. Hogle served under Captain William W. Hyzer; and was mustered out in June, 1865, at Detroit. During the entire war he was wounded only slightly.

In 1866 Mr. Hogle returned to Branch county, Michigan, and married Belle, daughter of Jacob Lilly, of Noble township, Branch county; she was born in 1849 and died in Burr Oak in 1897. Her  parents who were farmers are now deceased.  After his marriage, Mr. Hogle removed to Burr Oak and worked for years as clerk in a general store; he then went into partnership with Ed Smith in the line of dry goods and groceries, the firm doing business about a year and a half.  He was with D.  F.  Parsons seven or eight years and then purchased the business of Mr. Parsons carrying it on until 1898.  He sold out his mercantile interests and took care of a farm of 160 acres which he continued until taking his present position in the bank.  

Mr. Hogle enlisted while attending school at Coldwater, Michigan; he holds a scholarship in Bryant and Stratton’s Commercial College, from which he graduated in 1866, immediately after he was mustered out.  He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, being the first post commander in St. Joseph County.  The Post, B.G. Bennett Post, has lost nearly all the older members.  Mr. Hogle is affiliated with the Masonic Order, and is a Knight Templer; he held the office of Worthy Master of the Eagle Lodge No. 124 and has held an office ever since becoming a member.  He belongs to the Presbyterian Church of Burr Oak, in which he is an elder, and he was elected a delegate to the National Assembly at Philadelphia, in 1901.  He is a prominent and influential citizen, and well known in the community, where he has won universal respect and esteem.  

Mr. Hogle, and his wife had children as follows: Clifford, born in 1871, died November 1, 1909.  He lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming, married Cora Fuller of Bronson, and they had one daughter, Fayette, born in 1880, of Roodhouse Illinois, married Luey Doren of Chicago and has no children; Marjorie, born in 1890, unmarried lives at home.  Marjorie graduated from Burr Oak High School and for the past year has been in college in Ontario, Canada; she is specializing in music and domestic art.   Mr. Hogle married (second) in 1898, Mary Bennett of Sturgis, Michigan; she is the daughter of Atwell Bennett, who lived at Lawton Michigan.  They have no children.

Jason A. Hunt

Jason Abner Hunt was a 36 year old father of four children when he joined the Battery on January 5, 1864.    Born on November 6,1828 in New York, he married the former Chloe Scovel sometime before 1855. 

The photograph at left shows him before he left to serve in the Civil War.  Sons James Henry and Lucius and daughters Eurilla and Eurana were born before Mr. Hunt’s enlistment, with daughters Noma and Marion born during or after the war.   

Jason and his family were in Fairfield Township, Lenawee County in the 1860 census, but by 1870 were in Vevay Township, Ingham County.  By 1880, the family had settled in Fremont Township, Isabella County where Mr. Hunt passed away on February 16, 1898.   He is laid to rest in the Taylor Cemetery in that county.  His occupation was listed as carpenter and joiner in the 1870 census and as a farmer in the 1880 census.  (All of these sites are in Michigan.)

The photograph at left shows Jason and Chloe Hunt later in life.

Another image of Chloe is at left.

Jason's  name frequently appears in records as  “James” rather than Jason.  The 1890 Veteran census lists his disabilities as scurvy and rheumatism.  

Also of interest is that he comes from a family with a military tradition.  Jason's father, Abner Hunt, fought in the War of 1812 in New York, and his grandfather, Elijah Hunt, fought in the Revolutionary War on "the Pennsylvania Line."

All photos and additional biographical data kindly supplied by descendant, Mary Hunt.

Alexander M. Hunter

Alexander M. Hunter immigrated from Scotland just a year before the war broke out.  He enlisted in Capt. Dees's Battery on October 1, 1861 as a Sergeant and continued in that rank until November 16, 1863 when he accepted a Commission as Lieutenant in the First Tennessee Artillery which then became Battery D, 2nd US Colored Light Artillery.   

Lt. Hunter was last observed by Carl Lamberg in the Tennessee River with others who were being shot at by the rebels during the Confederate attack at Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864.  It was assumed by Captain Lamberg that Lt. Hunter was either killed or drowned in his attempt to escape the murder that was being committed. Please also read the entry under Carl Lamberg below.

Fortunately, our genealogist Deb Gosselin found records that confirmed that Hunter survived and was taken as a prisoner of war.  After the war, about 1871, he married a woman named Delia  (no last name known).  In 1880, they were in Craig Township, Holt County, MO where he was a telegraph operator; they had no children.  In the 1900 census,  they were in Union Township (still Holt County) and he was listed as a railroad agent.  In 1910, they were in the village of Craig where he died of a cerebral hemorrhage on October 4 of that year.

John L. and Charles Lay Huntley

Photo courtesy of Donald Simon

At left is a tintype of John L. Huntley,18years old, and his brother Charles Lay Huntley, 24 years old,  from Leslie, MI. The image was taken shortly after they mustered into Battery C, First Michigan Light Artillery on January 4, 1864. at Camp Blair in Jackson, MI.     

John L. Huntley died of disease on February 28, 1865 while the Battery was just outside Cheraw, S. C. preparing to attack the Confederate forces protecting that important arms depot. It was at Cheraw, that the Battery captured the Blakely cannon which is on display at Galena, IL.    

This image shows what the recruits who were being mustered into the Battery, during January/February of 1864, were  issued: infantry style greatcoats, bummer style hats without insignia, warm looking gloves-possibly rubberized and very likely boots. Note that the trouser legs are rolled up.   Although the artillery troops were supposed to be issued the mounted style greatcoat, many agree it was likely that the infantry coats would have been issued regardless of branch affiliation, if they were “on hand.” 

Charles Lay Huntley returned to Michigan after the war, married and moved to Brant, MI.  In the fall of 1917, Charles and his wife Eunice, both being in poor health, moved into the home of their son, Frank. 

On the morning of July 17, 1918, Charles (left) died after a lingering illness of catarrh of the stomach.  He is buried in the Brant Cemetery with his wife, Eunice (below), who died July 1, 1923.

Eunice Huntley

William W. Hyzer

Information compiled from military records and History of Guthrie and Adair Counties - 1884

William W. Hyzer, a native of Dutchess County, New York, born on September 3, 1836. His parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Velie) Hyzer, were natives of that state. In 1841, the family moved to Cayuga County, New York where William was reared. In 1859, he moved to Washenaw County, Michigan where he resided nine months. He then returned to his native state, and after remaining there six months, returned to Michigan until October 1861 when he enlisted as a private in Captain Dees' Company Horse Artillery, 3rd Regt. Michigan Cavalry at the age of 23. He was promoted to Corporal at muster-in at Grand Rapids, Michigan on November 28, 1861.

William was appointed Sergeant on July 1, 1862 and on July 19, 1863, he was commissioned as Second Lieutenant while at Memphis, Tennesse. He was promoted to First Lieutenant while in the field near Kingston, Georgia on May 22, 1864. He took over command of the Battery on December 20, 1864 after George Robinson was discharged. He received his commission as Captain on March 26, 1865 and served until the Battery mustered out June 22, 1865.

He returned to New York after his discharge, and resided in that state until the fall of 1866 when he moved to Scott County, Iowa until the spring of 1867; he then moved to Geneseo, Illinois, and later Erie, Illinois, where he bought grain for two years. In 1871 he moved to Menlo, Iowa, and after one year's residence there he moved to Atlantic, Iowa and in 1873, to Casey, Iowa where he was in the drug business until elected sheriff of Guthrie County in 1879.

William married Almeda H. Cook at Casey, Guthrie County, Iowa on January 23, 1879 and had three children: Mable E. (Hyzer) Trent, Addie B. (Hyzer) Colbert and Ruby M. (Hyzer) Kellogg.

He served two terms as sheriff and in February 1882, the firm of Hyzer & Phillips was formed.  Mr. Hyzer was a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter, A. F. and A. M., and also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Encampment Degree, as well as a member of the Ancient Order of United Workingmen.

William died June 17, 1917 at Guthrie Center, Guthrie Co. Iowa.

Article from The History of Guthrie County, page 334

From page 335

Burroughs Ingham

Burroughs Ingham, taken after the war

William R. Jameson

William R Jameson was 28 years old when he enlisted in the Battery at Quincy, Michigan on February 11, 1864.  He died on July 1, 1864 and was laid to rest in the Nashville National Cemetery.  William’s widow, Sophia, claimed a pension and a minor daughter, also named Sophia, was mentioned in those papers.

Brazil Jerry

Brazil Jerry, son of Francis Morton Jerry, was born in 1840 near Galena, in Joe Davies County, Illinois. The “Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War” lists him incorrectly as Barzill, Jerry; Jerry is actually his surname.  The name is a horror show but most often appears as Barzill Jerry.  One descendant stated he was Basil, his death certificate lists him as Brazil Jerry, but be aware, if searching for more information on this man, the name is listed variously and the first and surnames get confused.

Brazil Jerry enlisted in the Battery, on December 28, 1863 at Prospect, Tennessee, when he was 23 years old.  He mustered out at Detroit, Michigan on June 22, 1865.  He may also have previously served in two Minnesota units (Co K of the 5th and J of the 1st).

He is thought to have resided in Missouri at the time of his father’s death in 1867.  Brazil is standing on the right and his twin brother, Francis, is on the left.  Both Brazil and his twin as well as another brother, Joseph, served in the Civil War.  Turns out he lived a good long life and even married late in life for the second or third time to a younger woman.  A daughter, Thelma, was born in 1909!

His death date is listed on his death certificate and in the Missouri death database as December 14,1914 in St. James Township, Phelps County, Missouri.  He was in the Soldier's Home there in the 1910 census (but is also enumerated separately with his family so must have just moved in).

Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly, born January 6, 1847 in Toronto, Canada, enlisted January 26, 1864 in Battery C, 1st Michigan Light Artillery at Detroit, Michigan.  He was 5’6” tall, had a light complexion, brown eyes and black hair. His occupation was a laborer.  He was discharged from Harper General Hospital in Detroit, Michigan on August 12, 1865 having spent about nine months recovering from a bullet wound to the left side of his nose and upper lip, plus a wound caused by a piece of shell and gangrene to the right arm received during the Battle of Savannah, Georgia on December 11, 1864.

In an Officer’s Certificate, dated June 1865 written by Capt. William Hyzer of the Battery, Hyzer recounts the circumstances of Kelley’s wounding: “In Action with the enemy at Savannah, Ga. He was wounded by a Shell from the enemy’s guns which disabled his right arm causing him to lose the use of it.”

Michael received a disability pension of $6.00 per month beginning in August of 1865.   Michael’s 1868 Surgeon’s Certificate describes the wound: “By a Shell wound of right arm which shattered the bone causing several pieces to be detached & cut the large muscles.”

In 1899 a pension examiner noted: “scar 5-3/4 x 1-3/4 inch on outer and anterior surface of right arm. Depressed and dragging. Adherent to bone. There has been some loss of substance in biceps muscle. No injury of the large nerves or Vessels. No numbness or loss of power in hand or arm. The shoulder is limited 10 percent. The elbow and wrist joints are not affected.”

Michael married Mary Ellen Parent of Detroit during January of 1872 in a Catholic church, Thereafter the Kellys moved to Chicago where they lived on West Huron St. They had the following children:  Frank E. born July 9, 1877,  Irene M. born December 4, 1880, Elias M. born September 4, 1883 and Richard E. born May 4, 1885.

James Kennedy

Data from the National Archives shows that James Kennedy had a long Navy history.  He is listed as Navy ord. sea. USS Michigan, Clara Dolsen, Champion, and Black Hawk.  The Clara Dolsen is the same ship John J. Calkins served on and they may have known each other from that contact.

William Kirchen

William Kirchen was born in June of 1834 probably in Norfolk, England - he is shown in 1851 Methwold, Norfolk, England.  In 1854 he came to the United States and by 1860 he was living in Ypsilanti, Michigan.  He married Susan McGregor, who had been born in 1848 in Canada, on July 16, 1867 in Ypsilanti.  

On November 28, 1861 at Grand Rapids, Michigan, he enlisted as a bugler in Battery C, Michigan 1st Light Artillery Battery.  He was later promoted to Full Farrier on July 25, 1862, and then promoted to Full Corporal on September 1,1862.  He mustered out on December 27, 1864 at Detroit, Michigan.

After his service he returned to Michigan and is shown in Jackson, Michigan in 1870.  His wife,Susan, died in Chicago on March 5, 1899; they had moved to Chicago before 1900. He was in and out of the Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for several years before his death but is reported to have died back in Chicago on June 22, 1909.  

Carl A. Lamberg

Full-length portrait photograph of Carl Adolf Lamberg in dress uniform, from the Civil War 3rd Michigan Cavalry picture album. Handwritten on back: "Respectfully yours truly, Carl Adolf Lamberg, 1st Lieut. 1st Mich. Artillery. Camp Benton, Mo. 28th Jan., 1862."

Burton's Photograph Collection

Excerpt from “The Massacre at Fort Pillow” by Richard L. Fuchs. 1991, Stackpole Books,  pp.69-70.   

 “Captain Carl A. Lamberg who had enlisted in Robinson’s  Battery at Grand Rapids, Michigan at the organization of the Battery in 1861 as a Senior Lt., was also an Officer in the Swedish Army on extended leave of duty. He served with the Battery for over a year before he returned to Sweden. The Battery was under his command at the battle of Farmington, MS where his conduct was such that he was arrested and tried in a military court.

He was later returned to duty with the Battery. He resigned his commission March 23, 1863 and returned to Sweden to resign his rank.   Upon Lamberg’s return from Sweden to the United States, he accepted a commission as Captain of the Memphis Light Artillery (African Decent) which was later converted to Battery D, 2nd US Colored Light Artillery.

Lamberg who was not present during the engagement, reported on the fate of a section of Battery D, 2nd US Colored Light Artillery, which was sent to Fort Pillow on special assignment. Out of a complement of one commissioned officer [Ed. - Lt. Alexander M. Hunter, who had enlisted in Robinson’s Battery on Oct. 1, 1861 as a Sergeant, and continued in that rank until Nov. 16th, 1863 when he accepted a Commission as Lt. in the First Tennessee Artillery which also became Battery D, 2nd US Colored Light Artillery.] and 34 enlisted men, Captain Lamberg reported 6 enlisted men killed, 4 wounded, 1 man escaped, 5 known prisoners, and 1 officer and 18 enlisted men missing with no information about their fate.

Relying on the information provided by one of his men who returned wounded to Memphis two days after the engagement, the Captain wrote that Private Kennedy saw 5 wounded members of the battery who were lying in their tents after the surrender, killed by the rebels. A wounded black woman was also seen as she was shot through the head and killed. The company commander of the battery (Lt. Hunter) was last observed in the river with others who were being shot at by the rebels. Private Kennedy did not know the fate of Lieutenant Hunter because he was himself shot and dragged away at that moment.  

Ed. -- It was assumed that Lt Hunter was either killed or drowned in his attempt to escape the murder that was being committed in Ft. Pillow. Fortunately, our genealogist, Deb Gosselin, tracked down his prisoner of war records, some of his activities after the war and his death certificate.  We are delighted to report he did not die until 1910!

--A note about the selection of Officers for the Colored regiments.  “Officer positions were reserved for whites and candidates were required to pass a fairly rigorous review designed to weed out those who did not possess the dedication, seriousness of purpose, and the military experience and knowledge required. There were nine thousand applicants for commands, and of the four thousand who took the examination only 60 percent were granted commissions...The overall impact of this selective process was to create an officer core which for the most part had been in combat - seen the “elephant”- and could accept the fatal consequences under Confederate Law for leading blacks under arms.  

It is worthy of notice that out of the 100 or so men in Robinson’s Battery, TWO of them were examined and were selected to receive commissions in a Colored Battery. 
There is a remote chance that Lt. Hunter survived and was taken prisoner, and that he may have been sent to the infamous Andersonville Prison.

While in the Third Michigan Battery, Carl Lamberg served as an Aide-de-Camp on Brig. General Isham N. Haynie’s staff from January 1863 to March of that same year.  Captain Lamberg was later transferred to the command of Battery F, 2nd U.S. Colored Light Artillery, until he was mustered out of the service January 15, 1866.   Carl Lamberg died of consumption on July 1, 1868 and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Memphis, TN.  He left a wife and two children.

Lorenzo Leffingwell

Lorenzo was born in New York.  At the time of the1860 census, Lorenzo was in Allen, Michigan with his parents Freeman and Anna and four siblings, Edwin and Cynthia and two others.  He married Caroline E Strang in Branch County on August 15, 1860.

He later married Nancy Emily (DeFrees) Perkins in Bond County, IL on May 17, 1891.  He filed for an invalid pension in 1879.  He was still alive, at age 72, in the 1910 census and was living with his wife Nancy, age 55, and their daughter Blanche, age 16.  Lorenzo was listed as a carpenter doing building repair.  

Nancy eventually filed for a widow's pension on December 15, 191? (illegible).  Their daughter, Blanche, married Wyman Chadwick and had a son (Edgar about 1915) , a daughter (Ada Lucille about 1917) and another son (Eldon about 1922). They were in Pentwater in the 1920 and 1930 census records.  Both Lorenzo and Nancy Leffingwell are buried in the Pentwater Township Cemetery.

Enols Loyd

National Veteran's Home records show that Enols Loyd was at both the home in Marion, Indiana and in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Those show service only in Battery G but other records list him to both C and G.  On these records, his complexion is listed as black.  When Enols was admitted to the National Home in Marion, Indiana on December 23, 1890, it says he enlisted June 1, 1863 at Ashwood Landing, Louisiana into Co. G of the 1st Michigan Light Artillery and was discharged December 1864 at Jackson, Michigan at expiration of term.  Disabilites are listed as loss of right eye and injury to right wrist plus diarrhea and asthma.  He says the injuries were sustained June 1863 at Champion Hill, Mississippi. 

At that time, he is listed as born in Maryland, age 64, complexion black,  eyes black, hair gray. He was listed as a laborer in Crawfordsville, Indiana subsequent to discharge, widowed and with no next of kin noted.  On July 22, 1895 he was transferred to the National Home in Milwaukee.  Information there is very similar except that it now lists Ashwood Landing as being in Mississippi rather than LA (and that looks to be correct).  He died at the home on March 10, 1899 and cause of death is listed as melancolia and inanition (weakness and weight loss usually caused from a chronic disease such as cancer). 

Battery G did fight at Champion's Hill and Vicksburg. Our battery was at Memphis, Tennessee in June of 1863. While there our artillery was part of the guard detail that watched 5000 Confederate prisoners captured at Vicksburg. It is possible that Enols Loyd joined Battery G at Ashwood Landing, Mississippi as a freed slave, was wounded in the fight and was either sent to Memphis to be treated at the hospital or was part of the guard detail that took the prisoners to Memphis. Once there, after healing, he might have been assigned to our Battery as Battery G had transferred to Texas by November.

There are two separate pension cards for Enols Loyd:

Name: Enols Loyd
Side: Union 
Regiment State/Origin: Michigan 
Regiment Name: 1 Michigan Light Art'y. 
Regiment Name Expanded: 1st Regiment, Michigan Light Artillery 
Rank In: Wagoner 
Rank In Expanded: Wagoner 
Film Number: M545 roll 25 
Name: Enols Loyd
Service Info.: WAGONER CO C 1 MICH US Army 
Death Date: 10 Mar 1899
Interment Date: 13 Mar 1899
Cemetery: Wood National Cemetery 
Cemetery Address: 5000 West National Ave. Bldg. 1301 Milwaukee , WI 53295 
Buried At: Section 9 Site 109  
NOTE: Home record has different information.

Henry D. Lynes

Henry was born in 1843 and was 19 years old  when he enlisted in Capt. Gilbert Moyer’s Company of the Kellogg Guard. His name, along with Harmon Cooley’s, appear on a list published in The Allegan Journal on September 30, 1861, "having been sworn into the service of the United States last week.” Henry then transferred into Capt. Alexander Dees' Co. of Flying Artillery at Grand Rapids on October 10, 1861 and was mustered in to service November 28, 1861. He died of disease Jan. 18, 1862 at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO and was buried there.

He was the son of Samuel and Cynthia E. Lynes.   In the Allegan Gazette, dated March 9, 1889 Henry’s mother’s obituary states: Mrs. Cynthia Lynes, whose illness was noticed last week, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Curtis, in Trowbridge [Township] last Monday [February 25, 1889]. Mrs. Lynes was one of the pioneers of Allegan County, and in her life a very eccentric woman. She was born in DeKalb, N.Y. in 1812 and emigrated to Michigan in 1836, coming direct to Allegan County, where she resided until her demise.  She was twice married and had 2 sons and 1 daughter. Both her sons were in the Union service and both died there, one at St. Louis, MO and the other (Leander Gough) at the Libby Prison in Richmond, VA. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. E.A. Gay, at the house of John Curtis, nearly all the old settlers attending. The procession was full a half mile in length.  

Thanks to Carolyn A. Kasischke and Viola Jane Ammerman Wilson who researched this soldier.

Ellis (Ella) D. Main

The following was taken from a certificate presented to Ellis D. Main by the E.B. Cole G.A. R. post No. 372, Department of Michigan at Benzonia, Michigan, to his daughter, Minnie A., and his granddaughter, Amelia, in September of 1917. Ellis D. Main passed away on April 13, 1921 at the age of 77 and was buried at Highland Cemetery in Brooklyn, MI with full military honors.

Ellis D. Main   Enlisted December 24, 1863 from Jackson, Mich. was Mustered into the service on January 4, 1864 at Camp Blair in Jackson, Mi. as a private, for 3 years in Battery C, First Michigan Light Artillery. The Battery was assigned to the Artillery of the 1rst Division, 17th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee.
Comrade Main participated in the Battles of Sugar Valley and near Resaca on May 9th-13th, 1864; Resaca, May 14-15th;Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church, and Allatoona Hills May 25 to June 5th, 1864. Battles about Marietta and Kennesaw Mountain, June 10 to July 2; Battles about Pine Hill, June 11 to 14th, Lost Mountain June 15 to 17th; Golgatha Church, June 15th; Muddy Creek, June 17th; Voyes Creek, June 19th; Cassville, June 20, Kolbs Farm, Ga. June 22; Assault on Kennesaw, June 27th; Nickajak creek, July 2 to 5th; Ruff Mills, July 3 & 4th; Chattohoochie River line from July 5th to 17th; Sandtown Ferry, July 6&7th; Battle of Atlanta July 22; Siege of Atlanta, July 22 to September 2, 1864.
Pursuit of (Gen.) Hood into Alabama, October 3rd to 26th; March to the Sea, November 15 to December 10. Salkahatchie River, Siege of Savannah, GA.  December 10 to 21, 1864. Orangeberg, S.C. February 16 & 17, 1865; Cheraw, S. C. Feburary 28; Fayetteville March 11; Bentonville, N.C. March 21; Raleigh, N.C. and surrender of the Confederate Army under Gen. Joseph Johnston April 26th, 1865.
Moved to Washington D.C. and marched in the Grand Review May 24, 1865. Discharged at Detroit, Michigan June 18, 1865. Member of the E.B. Cole G.A. R. post No. 372, Department of Michigan at Benzonia, Michigan.

Photo and information courtesy of Jim Neely, great grandson of Ella Main

Nathaniel Marston

Nathaniel Marston was the son of Daniel D. Marston and Maria Reynolds,   He was born in Parma, Ohio and his family were one of the first families to settled in Leslie Township, Michigan in the early 1840s.  He enlisted as a Private on January 4,1864 at the age of 26 in Company Battery C, 1st Light Artillery Regiment Michigan.

He mustered out of  Company Battery C, 1st Light Artillery Regiment Michigan on June 22, 1865 in Detroit, Michigan.  Nathaniel returned to Leslie and married Elizebath Lumbard.   She died before 1880.  Nathaniel was a farmer and died on November 11, 1907 when he fell and was strangulated as a result of his fall.

Nathaniel felt strongly about his participation in the war.

Courtesy of Tim Howery

Lorenzo Mosher

Lorenzo Mosher was born on Nov. 25, 1820 in Saratoga Springs, New York.  Lorenzo married Phebe Zeluff (daughter of Joseph Zeluff).  On February 10, 1864, Lorenzo enlisted in Battery C, 1st Michigan Light Artillery, at Coldwater, Branch County, Michigan, for a period of three years.

He was 45 at the time. He was mustered in on February 10, 1864, and mustered out at Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, on June 22, 1865.  He died on May 15, 1877 in Caro, Michigan and was buried at the Wahjamega Cemetery in Caro.

Courtesy of Tim Howery

Adelbert Andrew Mudge

Mr. Mudge was born in Michigan, moved to Niagara County, New York then moved back to Michigan, and finally back to New York where he lived in Wilson from about 1880 until his death.  He died on January 16, 1934, and is buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Wilson, New York.