Become a Sponsor!
Battery History
   Biographies A - M
   Biographies N - Z
   Original Documents
   Other Service
   GAR Membership
   Burial Sites
   Battery Mysteries
   Upcoming Events
Become a Member!
   Our Guns
  Gallery 2018 - 1
  Gallery 2017
Gallery 2015 - 2
  Gallery 2015 - 1
  Gallery 2014 - 2
  Gallery 2014 - 1
  Gallery-2 2013
  Gettysburg 2013
  Gallery-1 2013
   Gallery 2012
   Gallery 2011
   Gallery 2010
   Gallery 2009
   Gallery - 2008 & Prior
   Other Eras
   Advancing the Guidon
   Members' Articles
   In the News / Honors
Ceremonies/ Poems
Civil War Artillery
   Ammunition & Equipment
   Famous Weapons
Encyclopedia of Civil War Artillery
   Guns - Page 1
   Guns - Page 2
   Guns - Page 3
Information Desk
National Register of Surviving Civil War Artillery
   Sites A - F
   Sites G - P
   Sites R - Z


Much of the following information has been provided by our talented genealogist, Deb Gosselin, who has applied her research skills to the lives of the men who served with the Third Battery. This page contains obituaries for some of those men. If you have any information about any of the Battery's soldiers, we would love to hear from you.

Deb can be reached at ancestryhelper.com.

Table of Contents
   John Cheney
   Enos Clark
   Benoni and Warren Collins
   Angus Fraser
   Richmond W. French
   Richard W. Hawes
   Thomas J. Johnson
   Ellis (Ella) D. Main
   Philip O'Brien
   Solomon Ostrander
   Henry Palmer
   Jerrod J. Randall
   John P. Sinclair
   Robert O. Sinclair
   Elihu Smith
   Benjamin Stadler (Stalder)
   Allen C. Stearns

John Cheney

 From the Redwood Falls Sun, Friday, October 1, 1926 

Comrade John Cheney
Answers Last Call 

Another Civil War veteran is called by death, and it will not be many years more until the last veteran will have heard the final summons.   Tuesday of this week, Sept. 28, at 1 p.m., Comrade John Cheney passed to the great beyond, at the home of his son Lewis south of town.  Deceased was born May 1, 1836, at Rochester, N.Y.  When 20 years of age he went to Ypslanti, Mich., and from there on Oct. 7, 1861, he enlisted in Battery C, 1st Michigan Light Artillery, and served until the close of the Civil War.   In 1869 he came to Redwood Falls and bought the farm on which he lived until his death.   He was united in marriage, May 27th, 1873, to Miss Alice Brown who preceded him in death Feb. 14, 1926.  

Mr. Cheney was a member of the Presbyterian church and died a devoted Christian.  He was also a member of the John S. Marsh Grand Army post of Redwood Falls.   Deceased is survived by four children, William, Phill and Lewis Cheney, and daughter, Mrs. Chas. Ilett, all of Redwood Falls, also two nieces, Mrs. Thomas Shire of Mitchell, Neb., and Miss Edith Cheney of Berkley, Cal., also three grand children.   Funeral services will be held in the home, Saturday Oct. 2nd, at 2:30 p. m.  Dr. A. W. Ross pastor of the local Presbyterian church will preach the sermon.  The body will be laid to rest in the local cemetery by the side of his wife.    The Pall bearers will all be neighbors of the departed, consisting of Messrs M. W. Dennistoun, George Phillips, V. W. Montgomery, A. M. Hills, Fred Banker and Sam Manning.

From The Redwood Gazette, Wednesday, October 6, 1926          

Veteran of Civil War Buried Saturday;  Wife Precedes Him in Death by but few Months.  

John Cheney passed to the Great Beyond at his home south of Redwood Falls Tuesday, September 28th, at one o’clock.  The funeral service was held at the home Saturday, October 2nd, at two-thirty o’clock.  Dr. A. W. Ross, pastor of the Presbyterian church, preached a very impressive sermon.  Following the service the body was laid to rest beside that of Mr. Cheney’s wife who passed away a few months ago and the pall bearers were the same who had performed that service for Mrs. Cheney.  These neighbors were M. W. Dennistoun, George Phillips, V. W. Montgomery, A. M. Hills, Fred Banker and S. Manning.  The hymns of the service were sung by Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Campbell, Mrs. D. Tiffany and C. A. Fobes.  

John Cheney was born May 1st, 1836 at Rochester, N. Y.   When twenty years of age he went to Ypsilanti, Michigan, and from there in October of 1861 he enlisted in Battery C of the third Michigan Light Artillery and served until the close of the Civil War.  In 1869 he came to Redwood Falls and bought the farm on which he lived until his death.  He was united in marriage May 27th, 1873, to Miss Alice Brown who died February 14th, of this year.   The deceased was a member of the Presbyterian church and died a devoted Christian.  He was also a member of the John S. Marsh Post of the Grand Army of the Republic.  He is survived by his three sons, William, Phillip and Louis, and one daughter, Mrs. Cora Ilett.  He is also survived by three grandchildren and by two nieces, Mrs. Thomas Shire of Mitchell, Nebr., and Miss Edith Cheney of Berkley, Calif.  

From Redwood Falls Sun, Friday, February 19, 1926                     

Mrs. John Cheney

Mrs. John Cheney who had been a patient sufferer for several years past found sweet relief Sunday night Feb. 14, 1926 when her earthly spirit took its flight to realms unknown at her home near Redwood Falls, surrounded by her husband and children.   Alice Brown was born in Cales, Maine, April 27, 1854.  When 14 years of age she came with her parents to Brown county, Minnesota, and in 1873 she was united in marriage to John Cheney and to this union were born, three sons and one daughter, all living in Redwood, and were with her at the time of her death.   Mrs. Cheney soon after coming to Redwood Falls united with the Presbyterian church at this place, of which church she had been a member ever since. 

Deceased was ill for a number of years suffering from asthma, but was always a most patient sufferer, and always cheerful.  She leaves to mourn her death her husband, three sons, William, Phillip and Lewis, one daughter, Mrs. C. F. Illet, all of this place; seven brothers and one sister, three grandchildren and other relatives, besides many friends and neighbors.   The funeral was held from the home Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock conducted by Dr. A. W. Ross, pastor of the local Presbyterian church and burial took place in the local cemetery.  The pall bearers were Malcom Dennistoun, George Phillips, Sam. Manning, Burt Hill, U. W. Montgomery and Fred Banker.  The Sun joins in extending condolence to the bereaved family.  

“Another family that never failed to lighten any situation were the Cheneys.  The elder Mr. Cheney had been in the Civil War.  He was a crusty old codger with two sons, Lew and Phil.  Since he always wore boots – I doubt they even came off at night – his sons never called him Pa or Dad, but “Boots.”   One day he was running down the Scottish people because he could not understand them.  He said they all spoke “Garlic,”  Lew said, “Hell, Boots, that ain’t ‘garlic,’ that’s ‘Gaelic.”’

Thank you to Roger Breckenridge of Redwood Falls, MN for supplying this material.

Enos Clark

From the November 16, 1923 Allegan News:

Enos Clark passed away Friday morning in the home of his niece, Mrs. A Gardner. Burial at Millgrove, Rev Kelley officiating.

Benoni and Warren Collins

From the December 1, 1893 Allegan Journal:

Benoni Collins, who in the War of 1861-5, served in Battery "C" 3d Mich. Battery, died at his residence in this village Tuesday evening, Nov. 28th. Mr. Collins was born March 21, 1820 in the town of Ira, Rutland County, Vermont. At the age of six years he removed with his parents to the town of Ellenburgh, Clinton County, New York, where he resided until 1860, when he removed to Allegan County. A widow and three sons, Clark, Orson, and William survive him. An older son, Warren, early enlisted in the army service in the same Battery, came home an invalid, recuperated and re-enlisted in the 8th Michigan Cavalry volunteers, was taken prisoner on Stoneman's raid and finally died in a hospital at Annapolis, Maryland. Mr Collins Sr. received severe injuries in his back and hip in the spring of 1862 while on drill practice near Benton Barracks, Missouri, which resulted in chronic rheumatism and caused his death.

From the December 2, 1893 Allegan Journal:

Benoni Collins, an old resident of the village, died at his home Tuesday evening, aged seventy-three years and nine months. He was born in Ira, Rutland County, Vermont, in 1820, and six years later removed to Ellenburgh, Clinton County, N.Y. He came to Allegan in 1850 and had since been a resident here, with the exception of his service in the Civil War, when he was a member of division C of the third Michigan battery. He was a carpenter, but did not actively engage in that occupation during his later years because of his injuries received in the army. His wife and five sons, all residents of the village, survive. The funeral was held from the residence yesterday at half past ten, under conduct of C.J. Bassett post, G.A.R. of which he was a member.

Angus Fraser

From the January 8, 1910 Allegan Gazette:

Angus Frazier, Civil war veteran and well-known resident of Allegan, who was recently taken to Kalamazoo asylum for treatment. died in that institution Thursday morning. The temporary violent derangement of the elderly man's mind, when remedied, left him very weak and a fatal decline set in. He was seventy-five years of age, Jan, 1, and served in Battery C, Michigan Light Artillery. He is survived by his wife who has cared tenderly for her husband during his declining years. The remains were brought to Allegan last evening and were met at the station by members of the G.A.R. The funeral will be held from the Congregational Church Sunday at 2 o'clock.

Richmond W. French

Initial newspaper report of Mr. French's injury printed in the Brooklyn Michigan Exponent

The article the next day announcing Mr. French's death

Richard W. Hawes

                               The Ridgewood Herald, Friday,  December 17, 1926
                                            RICHARD WILLIAMS HAWES                

Richard Williams Hawes, for fifty-six years a resident of this community, passed away on Thursday, December 16, shortly after noon, at his home, 56 Corsa Terrace.  In spite of his advanced years, for he was eighty-nine on the 23rd of September, when he suffered several strokes, the last about three months ago causing him to be confined to his room, although his mind was still keen and his interest in those about him as active as ever.  On Monday of this week came the final stroke which caused his quiet death yesterday.                

Funeral services will be held at the Hawes residence at 3:15 o'clock on Sunday, the 19th, the Rev. Hubert A. Wright, pastor of the Unitarian Church, of which Mr. Hawes had been one of the founders, officiating.  Interment will be in the family plot in Valleau Cemetery.                

In the passing of Mr. Hawes Ridgewood loses one of its choicest spirits.  Of old New England stock he combined the finest characteristics of that staunch ancestry with a charm of manner that was irresistible.  He possessed an optimism and blitheness of spirit, a sense of justice and understanding, which, with his unfailing whimsicality, made his companionship a source of delight to kinsfolk and friend of every age.  He was the boon companion of his grandchildren. 

Of the more than half a century of life in this community, Ridgewood can only claim thirteen years.  Mr. and Mrs. Hawes moving here from Ho-Ho-Kus where for thirty-seven years they lived in the homestead they built on the Franklin Turnpike.  They went to Ho-Ho-Kus in 1870 from Buffalo where their first years of married life were spent.                

Mr. Hawes was the son of Samuel W. and Lucy Williams Hawes, and was born in New Bedford, Mass., on September 23, 1837.  His marriage to Miss Amanda L. Smith of Batavia, N. Y., took place on the 8th of June, 1865.  He was a veteran of the Civil War, and was an active member of Paramus Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution.  That patriotic organization and the Unitarian Church which he and his sister, Miss Rebecca Hawes, whose death occurred just two years ago this month, were active in organizing here in Ridgewood, formed his chief interests.                

He was widely read and was fortunate enough to be able to enjoy his books until the day of his death.  He was an ardent music lover and had always sung, possessing an excellent voice.  In the earliest days of Christ Church he was the soloist, and Mrs. Hawes played the organ.  The Golf Club was originally located in the meadows just back of his Ho-Ho-Kus estate, and he was one of the first players on the links.  He retired twelve years ago from his position with the Bureau of Highways of New York City, which he had held for many years.                

Of the seven children born to them there are four living.  He is survived by his wife, one son, John Hawes of this Village, and three daughters, Mrs. Arthur Patton of Ridgewood, Miss Elizabeth Hawes, who lives at home, and Mrs. Seth C. Hawley of Elko, Nevada.  There are eight grandchildren.

Thank you to Joe Suplicki, historian for Ridgewood, NJ for supplying this material.

Thomas J. Johnson

Thomas J Johnson was born on February 16,1839.  He was shown as living in Houghton County , MI in the Upper Peninsula at the time of his enlistment but he seems to have moved to Wisconsin shortly after the war.  All of his children seem to have been born in Wisconsin, including oldest daughter, Ida, who was born about 1864.  Thomas only served about a year (1861-1862) before getting a disability discharge. He died on December 5, 1918.

He and his wife, Annie, [born February 12, 1844  died November 26, 1918] are buried at Church of the Holy Nativity Episcopal Cemetery also known as the Christ the King Episcopal Cemetery located SE 1/4 SE 1/4 corner  Section 15, Town of Jacksonport, Door County, Wisconsin.

Their obituaries were published in the Door County Advocate of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.

Information courtesy of IdaKay.

Ellis (Ella) D. Main

Ed. - Mr. Main was not the "last man standing."  Several Battery members survived him.

Document provided by Jim Neely, great grandson

Philip O'Brien

Cheboygan Democrat              May 19, 1911                  Philip O’Brien Dead              

On Friday evening, May 12th occurred the death of one of northern Michigan’s oldest residents, a man known far and near and with a history that would be interesting reading throughout his long life of nearly 97 years.  Mr. O’Brien has been in failing health for several months, and many times in the past few months the reports have been current on the streets that his life had ended. On the Wednesday before death brought to an end the life of this illustrious character, he suffered a slight stroke of paralysis, which hastened the end.            

Mr. O’Brien was born in Ireland. When a young man he served with the British Army in various parts of the world. He came to the United States in early life and to Cheboygan when this place was but a hamlet, about 65 years ago.  He was married to Miss Margaret Hughes shortly after coming here. Ten years after, he enlisted in the Union Army at the call for volunteers, and in this service for his country he lost an arm. He was discharged from the service in 1863 and returned home where he has ever since remained.            

To Mr. and Mrs. O’Brien were born seven children, three of whom survive with the mother, namely Charles, William and Mrs. Hannah J. Kellaher. The mother was a constant attendant at the bedside of her husband all during his illness, although she too is badly crippled with rheumatism.

Cheboygan Democrat          November 29,1912       Pioneers are fast going              

On Friday night, Nov 22d occurred the death of Mrs. Margaret O’Brien, widow of the late Philip O’Brien, who passed to the great beyond only about a year ago. Mrs. O’Brien, who had been in very poor health for some time, which was caused by rheumatism and which later, developed into a severe case of dropsy. Her sufferings from this last illness being quite severe, and death came as a relief to it all.            

The funeral took place from St. Mary’s Church on Monday forenoon, and the remains of the aged lady laid at rest beside those of her husband in Calvary Cemetery. Rev. Father Webeler officiated at the last sad rites, there being a large number of the old lady’s close friends and neighbors present to pay their last respects to their friend.            

Mrs. O’Brien was born in Ireland, over eighty years ago, and in 1849 came across the water to the new country where so many of her countrymen and women were leaving for. She was accompanied by a sister and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Peter MacDonald, and came direct to Cheboygan, which at that time was but a small hamlet in the woods. Mr. MacDonald having employment with the company operating at the old water mill site, and Mrs. MacDonald running the mill boarding house where her young sister also worked, and it was here that she met the man that was to be her companion for life, Mr. O’Brien, who was also an employee of the mill and lived at the mill boarding house.            

They were united in marriage at St. Ignace in February, 1851, and returned immediately to their home and went to housekeeping for themselves not far from their late residence. They later took up a homestead which has since been divided into city lots and additions until about all of the farm has been swallowed up by the city, leaving a small part however on which their late home stands, and some parcels of land at the rear of the same still owned by the estate.            

Mr. O’Brien responded to the call for volunteers when the Civil War broke out and went to the front leaving his good wife to brave the home and family alone, and she bravely carried out her part, to be joined in after years by her husband, as he came home from the war badly crippled and very much incapacitated for a continuance of his labors, but his good wife worked bravely on and kept them all from want and in comfortable circumstances and reared them as well as the best.            
An early history of Cheboygan County says that Mr. O’Brien was the first white settler above the dam, that he enlisted in 1861 in the Third Michigan Battery, he was a good soldier, but his service was cut short by a wound at the battle of Corinth, which resulted in the loss of his right arm. In the spring of 1862 he received an honorable discharge and returned home.            

To Mr. and Mrs. O’Brien were born six children only three of whom survive, namely Charles H. and William S. and Mrs. H. J. Kellar, all of this city.           

Solomon Ostrander

From Allegan Gazette, Vol XIV, Allegan, Michigan No. 36, January 4, 1896:

Solomon Ostrander, aged eighty-two years, died  at the house of his granddaughter, Mrs. Wm. Thomas, on Seminary Hill, at 3  o'clock Tuesday.  He left two sons and one daughter.  The funeral  was held from the house Thursday afternoon, Rev. Andrus officiating. 

Henry Ostrander

Published in the Detroit Free Press on February 16, 1915.

Jerrod Randall

The following obituary for Mr. Randall's son gives an approximate death date and supposedly Seattle as a place of burial:  

Wednesday, November 27, 1895:   

Vivian R. RANDALL died at 3 o'clock this morning at the residence of his mother, Mrs. Frank BOUCHER, on Washington Street, aged 8 years. He was a son of Jed J. RANDALL, an old soldier who died in Seattle five years ago. Funeral at the residence on Washington Street between Utter and Williams streets at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.    Note that he is called "Jed" here which gives another name by which he may have been known.  He must have left Michigan sometime between 1887 and his death in 1890.

John P. Sinclair

From Traverse City Record-Eagle, Oct. 23, 1914:

MYSTERY NOW CLEARED AWAY         Body of John Sinclair Found Thursday
Two Hunters From Interlochen Made Discovery Veteran Had Wandered Until Overcome by Cold and Wet When He Died in Wild and Lonely Spot

The body of John Sinclair, the Civil War veteran who disappeared from his home at Long Lake in the early part of last November, was found Thursday afternoon by Peter Little and Frank Linderman of Interlochen, who were hunting on section five in Gren Lake township. When the men made the discovery they notified Jacob Witkop of Interlochen, who called up Sheriff Smith, who together with Coroner Minor, went to the spot, which is about midway between Cedar Hedge Lake and Mud Lake, and gathered up what remained of the body and brought it to the Gruber undertaking rooms, where friends of the man confirmed the identification through the watch and clothing that still remained.

For the past year Sheriff Smith has been searching for a clue to the whereabouts of the body of the old man, but nothing was ever discovered to explain his fate until the location of the body yesterday. At the time he disappeared he had been in Interlochen during the day, and when he started for home he had a bag with him in which he carried his purchases. This bag Was found about eighty rods from his home the next day that he was missed and contained some newspapers, crackers and tomatoes. It is evident that after dropping the bag he proceeded in the opposite direction from his home, for the body was found about two miles away from this point.

When the body was found it lay about thirty feet on the road on dry land, and some time since his death forest fires had run through the brush and leaves, burning his clothing to a crisp so that the body looked just like the parts of burned logs that were located in the same vicinity. This fact was evidently the cause of the body not being found before. The remains were in a badly decomposed state, little remaining but the top of the skull and body bones. His watch, which he carried, was found under the body, and there was no money or other articles found. Last year Sheriff Smith offered a reward of $25 for the discovery of Mr. Sinclair, dead or alive, and this morning he went before the board of supervisors and secured the approval of the claim and orders were drawn, giving each of the two men who made the discovery $12.50.

Mr. Sinclair was 73 years old and came to this region from Ohio many years ago, and for the past seventeen years had lived an isolated life at his Long Lake cabin. He served in the Civil War and drew a pension. He was well known throughout the county and was a favorite with the resorters at Long Lake. He leaves a wife, who at present lives at Coldwater, and some nephews in Texas. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Gruber undertaking rooms, Rev. A. A. Stevens officiating. Burial will be in the soldiers' plot in Oakwood (cemetery).

Robert O. Sinclair

See bank photo below

Ed. - Interesting error in this obituary.  It states that R.O. Sinclair had enlisted in the Eighth MI. Inf. Everything I have seen, including the Michigan Brown rosters, give his (and his cousin, William Sinclair's, early service) as being in the Seventh Mi. infantry. So this is likely a typesetter error.

The bank had many names over the years.  It was built in 1912 - in the picture at left, it was called "The State Bank of Ladysmith" and was located at 102 West 2nd Street, Ladysmith, WI.  The building is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.  It appears it now houses a restaurant called the 211 Club.

Elihu Smith

From the January 15, 1910 Allegan Gazette:

The many acquaintances in Allegan of Elihu Smith of Watson were shocked to hear of his very sudden death last Saturday evening. He had just retired with his wife for the night after an evening spent in more than the usually pleasant social way with his family. He turned in his bed to take some medicine and lay back with but a slight convulsion. He breathed only a few times afterward and died without any struggle. Mr Smith had suffered from heart disease, but the end was unexpected at the time. He was not a prominent man of the county, although a very old resident, yet few men possess any more endearing characteristics than did he, and his many friends among the younger men of Allegan have felt his death keenly.

Benjamin Stalder (Stadler)

Funeral Notice:
Bailey Run, May 28.--The death of Ben Stalter, an old soldier, occurred at his home here Sunday. The funeral will take place at Chauncey, Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock.
    May 31, 1906

Memorial of B. F. Stalder:
Bert F. Stalder was born in Ames Township, Athens County, Ohio, Aug. 18, 1841; died May 26, 1906, aged 64 yrs., 9 mos., and 8 days. He lived in the neighborhood of Chauncey when the call to arms came. He enlisted on the 20th of August, 1861, and was discharged from service in July, 1865, serving his country well for almost four years. He first enlisted in the 22nd O. V. I., which was consolidated and known as the 63rd O. V. I.  In February 1862, the regiment went to Commerce, Mo., where an Ohio brigade was organized; from there they  went to New Madrid, Mo., and took action in the siege of New Madrid Island  No 10, Tiptonville and Farmington, Miss; also at the siege of Corinth, Aug. 10, 1862; was detailed to serve in a Michigan battery; was at Iuka, on Sept. 19; at Corinth, Oct. 3 and 4, 1862. In the fall of 1863, he enlisted for 3 more years or during the war, came home on veteran's furlough for 30 days; returned in time to join uncle Billy in the march to the sea. In 1865 he was admitted to the hospital, discharged from same, June 15, 1865, and on the 14th of July, 1865, returned home with an honorable discharge.

On the 25th of August, 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Celesta Carr. To this union were born ten children, two boys and eight girls. Four have gone over the river, two boys and two girls. He leaves a wife, six daughters, two brothers and one sister as well as many relatives and near and dear friends. He was a kind and loving father and husband, a good neighbor and citizen. For years he had been a sufferer, and an example of patience in sufferings. In February 1866, he united with the Freewill Baptist church, under Elder Tewksberry. In 1897 he took membership in the church of Christ at Chauncey; many times he desired that rest that remainth for the people of God, and his selections for the close of his earthly pilgrimage was, "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord." --Rev-14-13.

Allen C. Stearns

Compiled by Richard G. Hutchins in Fowlerville Goes To War 1861-1865 (Livingston County, Michigan):

March 18, 1898   Allen Culver Stearns died at his home in this village [Fowlerville] on Sunday morning after an illness of only a few days, of pneumonia, aged 76 years. He was born at Lambson, Massachusetts, February 19, 1822, and came to Michigan with his parents when a small boy, settling in the township of Howell, this county, coming to this township about 1822, and settling on a farm in the west part of the township and after a time he exchanged farms and located in the south part of the township and in May 1895, came to this village where he continued his residence until his death. He married in early life to Catherine Stebbins and to them were born four children, two of whom, Mrs. Josephene Holcomb and Mrs. Clara DeForest still survive him. Mrs. Stearns died in June 1882 and November 22, 1884 he married to Mrs. C.A. Diamond who still lives to mourn his death.

In July 1861, he responded to the call for troops when his country was in peril and enlisted in Battery C, 1rst Regiment, Michigan Volunteers Light Artillery, in which he served faithfully and valiantly until the close of the war. He was a peaceful, quiet man, of the strictest integrity and principles, and was highly respected by all who knew him. He became a Christian in childhood and was ever a faithful follower of Jesus, taking delight in the service of the Master. He was a member of the M.E. Church for several years and later became a respected member of the M.E. Church on his charge. The funeral services were held at the M.E. Church on Monday afternoon, the Rev. J. H. Thomas, assisted by G. L. Adams, officiating and the remains were interred in the Lake Cemetery.